New figures show that employment is at a record high, and wages are rising at their fastest pace in a decade, meaning more people than ever before here in Calder Valley have the security of a regular pay packet as the Government helps people into work and back businesses across the country.
We are helping people into work by reforming welfare so work always pays, while backing businesses to create more, better paying jobs across the whole country through our modern Industrial Strategy.
Since 2010, we have helped over 3.4 million more people into work and reduced the number of people who are unemployed by over 1.1 million – meaning more people have the security of a job and are able to provide for their families. Here in Calder Valley, unemployment is below 3.6% whilst there are more people in work in Yorkshire and the Humber than ever before.
- Wages: Average weekly earnings for employees increased by 3.4 per cent compared with a year earlier.
- Employment: A record high of 32.53 million (up 328,000 over the last year and up by 3.49 million since 2010).
- Employment rate: 75.8 per cent (up 0.4 points over the past year and up 5.5 points since 2010).
- Unemployment: 1.37 million (down 68,000 over the past year and down by 1.14 million since 2010).
- Unemployment rate: A record low of 4.0 per cent (down 0.2 points over the past year and down 3.9 points since 2010) – halving since 2010 (8.0 per cent).
- Youth unemployment: There are over 428,000 fewer young people out of work since 2010 – almost halving since 2010.
- Disabled people: Almost 1 million disabled people (973,000) have entered work since 2013, as we are breaking down the barriers to employment facing disabled people.