Grants will soon be available for businesses in Calderdale which have had to close or have been badly affected due to COVID-19.
The government has allocated around £10 million to Calderdale Council to support businesses through several new grants.
This builds on the 5,500 coronavirus-related grants which the Council has already paid out to businesses across the borough during the pandemic, totalling about £62 million.
In line with the recent government announcement, eligible local businesses will be able to apply for the new grants from the week starting Monday 16 November, when the application forms and advice about eligibility will be available on the Council’s website: Local Restriction Support Grant.
Craig Whittaker, MP for Calder Valley said:
“These new grants beginning on Monday 16th November are crucial to all our local businesses. We all know how tough this year has been and how the our businesses throughout Calder Valley have been hit extremely hard by COVID-19. I certainly encourage any eligible business to apply as I know that a number of organisations have been very anxious due to the uncertainty of the situation.
I am incredibly proud to have witnessed the quintessential resilience throughout our community of businesses so far, and would like to see as many pull through this pandemic as possible.
Local Restriction Support Grant (Closed)
Businesses which have been legally required to close to protect people from COVID-19 can apply for the Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed). Eligible businesses include those in non-essential retail, leisure, personal care, sports and hospitality.
The grants will be:
- £1,334 per 28-day qualifying restriction period – for businesses with a rateable value of £15,000 or under on 5 November 2020 (when national restrictions started).
- £2000 per 28-day qualifying restriction period – for businesses with a rateable value of over £15,000 and less than £51,000 on 5 November 2020.
- £3000 per 28-day qualifying restriction period – for businesses with a rateable value of £51,000 or above on 5 November 2020.
Local Restriction Support Grant (Open)
Businesses which were in Tier 2 restriction areas between 1 August and 5 November can apply for the Local Restriction Support Grant (Open) for that period. Government guidance says this will be aimed at hospitality, hotel, bed & breakfast and leisure businesses. Tier 2 restrictions came into place in Calderdale on Wednesday 14 October and the grants will be backdated to 1 August.
The grant amounts will be:
- Up to £934 per 28-day period for businesses with a rateable value of £15,000 or under on 14 October 2020.
- Up to £1,400 per 28-day period for businesses with a rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000 on 14 October 2020.
- Up to £2,100 per 28-day period for businesses with a rateable value of £51,000 or above on 14 October 2020.
Local Restriction Support Grant (Sector)
This grant applies to businesses which have been required to close since the first lockdown in March 2020, such as nightclubs. The Council is awaiting further detail and an allocation from the government and will update local businesses as soon as possible.
The Council is working as quickly as possible to develop further grant schemes for businesses which are not eligible for the other new grants detailed above. Supporting local businesses remains a priority and more information will be available soon.